Thursday, January 20, 2011

Namaste!

Apparently I already knew one Hindi word! Actually two I guess, because "Namaste" is used to say "hello" and "goodbye" in Hindi. I guess my recent yoga practice is useful in more ways than I thought =) I just didn't realize that every time I said this word at the end of the class I was speaking Hindi! (I stopped by Barnes and Noble today to pick up an English-Hindi dictionary and phrase book, so hopefully I can up a few key phrases before I leave). I've learned that India has 14 official languages, although Hindi is the most widely spoken. English is also spoken in many of the cities in India, especially by the more educated people. However, I will be working in a rural hospital so I've been told that most of the patients I'm going to see will not speak English. Thankfully, all of the doctors at the hospital are fluent in English.

The language barrier is a little frightening, especially entering into a medical setting where I'll be seeing a lot of non-English-speaking patients, and feeling helpless to communicate with them. However, I've realized during my years in medical school that communication is something that God has gifted me with. So I trust that He will teach me ways to communicate with people that don't involve language!

Next time I write to you I will be in India! I'm a little bummed to be missing the infamous Packer vs. Bears game on Sunday!, but I think I'll get over that =) Although I know its not possible to be completely prepared for a trip like this, everyone who has talked with me about India and about medical missions has been a huge encouragement. I'm so thankful for their leadership! I even had a well-traveled friend tell me it was okay to bring a couple more t-shirts and pants (thanks Kristin!).

I treasure all of you and can't wait to hear from you! Thanks for everything.
Namaste!!
Katie

Jeremiah 29: 11-13 "'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will see me and find me when you seek me with all of you heart'"

Prayer Requests:
- Safe travels to Delhi and then on to Herbertpur (I'm arriving in Delhi on Sunday, spending all day Monday in Delhi, and then traveling by train to Dehradun and taxi to Herbertpur Hospital on Tuesday)
- Communication: I realize that I connect with people through conversation- sharing stories, emotions, etc. I am praying that the language barrier doesn't prevent me from creating meaningful connections with patients and families.

Praises:
- My Dad looked up the weather at Herbertpur this week and it got up to 70 degrees!! Although temps drop to below freezing at night, without central heating, I think the cold weather situation will be better than I feared =)

No comments:

Post a Comment