Saturday, February 12, 2011

Love is in the Air!

With Valentine's Day just around the corner, there is a large "Married Couples" Dinner happening tomorrow night in the building where the church service is held each week. Apparently, the event is a big deal. All the couple are supposed to dress their best, and then there is a judging and the best-dressed couple wins a fancy dinner out in Dehradun. Initially when I heard about the dinner, I was a little bummed because I obviously wouldn't be able to join! (No- I have not fallen for any Indian boy, nor have I been arranged to marry anyone here!). But I was asked yesterday to help with preparations and with serving the dinner, so I gladly accepted!

The other student here from Texas (Angela) and I spent last night and a good part of today cutting out paper hearts and flowers, decorating plastic bottles to serve as flower vases, decorating paper plates and bowls with markers and shiny red tape, and blowing up heart-shaped balloons. Let me tell you- planning a party here is nothing like at home! You can't just go to "Party City" or "Target" and buy decorated plates, center pieces, etc. We went into the market, and Jubin (a nurse here) took us to the decorations store- it was about 6 feet wide and 12 feet long, covered from floor to ceiling with ribbons, paper, glitter, gems, I don't even know what else! You tell the man what you want, he brings out whatever he has and you pick from it. You may not end up with anything that you want, but you make do with whatever you can get. It's very amusing.

So tomorrow we will spend all day decorating the church area for Valentine's Day. Then we get to judge the couples for the best dressed....and hopefully get to enjoy some of the food as well (I heard there will be ice cream!!).

Quick update from my last blog:

The man I mentioned in my last blog (with the infected foot) came to the hospital yesterday! Praise God! I was in the casualty department when I saw a familiar-looking man getting an injection. When he sat up I recognized him and was so relieved. He walked over to me, took both of my hands in his, and thanked me for helping him. He wanted me to know that he was getting his antibiotics and all of his medications. He said he hoped that I would come back to the village again! It was really great to see him there.

1 comment:

  1. How was the Valentines dinner?!?! Would love to hear about it. I bet the outfits were ridiculous!!! What a fun experience. Hope you had a great time, much love and prayers to you

    kristin

    ReplyDelete