Sunday, February 20, 2011

The World Cup!




February 19th marked the beginning of the World Cup - not the Soccer World Cup we all know and love, but the Cricket World Cup! Cricket is very popular here, so everyone is pretty pumped for the World Cup. Apparently, India has a really good shot of winning the tournament. The pastor at the church here loves cricket (he’s been talking about the Cricket World Cup since I got here!), so he organized a cricket tournament amongst the men that are a part of the church congregation. Today, just outside the hospital, I witnessed my very first game of cricket. It was really fun to watch, even though I still don’t understand any of the rules! But everyone was really excited and laughing, and the weather was beautiful.The picture above is me and Kian cheering on all of the players! The World Cup goes for 6 weeks, so this tournament is being held every Sunday for the next 6 weeks. Maybe I’ll learn some of the rules by the time I leave.

I also experienced my first bit of India gastroenteritis this week, but praise God it only lasted 24 hours =) Three other people also got sick this week so I’m thinking something in the mess hall was not quite right…. I was helping with a C-section and was about to re-scrub for a 2nd one, but I had to ask to leave! Dr. Daniel just smiled and told me to go rest. I felt a little silly =)

I spent this week on OB/Gyn again and I was reminded of the huge need for an OB/Gyn physician here. With the loss of two rural surgery residents in the past 3 weeks, Dr. Daniel and his wife, Dr. Jennifer, are covering the OB/Gyn outpatient department, maternity ward, and OB/Gyn surgeries (in addition to their normal tasks). I really enjoyed getting to spend more time with both of them this week (Dr. Jennifer even invited me over for pancakes!!), but I wish I could help them more with the workload. From what I can gather they have had a difficult time recruiting OB/Gyn doctors to come here. Being a mission hospital, the pay does not compare to what one would make at a government hospital, and the workload is pretty large.

I hope everyone at home is doing well. I miss all of you and enjoy hearing about everything that’s happening at home. I hear the Badgers are doing pretty well on the basketball front?! That’s so exciting! I hope to see a good March Madness when I get back!

Prayer Requests:
- Please pray that God would provide more doctors to work here at Herbertpur. The few doctors that are here work very hard and are very dedicated to their patients, but it’s virtually impossible to provide the best patient care being short-staffed.
- Although I am really beginning to feel comfortable and enjoy my time here, I still have days where I really struggle with the food and feel very hungry- this continues to distract me and make me yearn to return home even when everything else is going well. Please pray that I would be able to look past this and trust in God for my needs.

Praises:
- I am so happy that the family from Switzerland is here! Goli and Daniel are wonderful, and I love their two children – Rami is 1.5 years old, and Kian is 3 years old. They are adorable! It has been so nice to have a family to spend time with and talk to. The boys are getting pretty comfortable around me and will sit on my lap and they love being tickled and swung around; it’s a lot of fun! I really praise God for bringing them here for the two months that I am here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment