Sunday, February 6, 2011

Peaks and Valleys

This week has been filled with ups and downs. After finishing up my second week in the hospital here, I’m finding myself getting frustrated with being in such a different medical system and trying to decipher meaning from a language I don’t understand!

I spent this week rounding on the medicine wards and covering the casualty unit (emergency department) during the day. There are only 2 resident physicians here covering the entire hospital, so needless to say, I have found myself alone in the casualty dept. on many occasions trying to manage patients that I can’t even gather a history from. When I do manage to find someone to translate for me, I know I’m missing a lot in the translation. The medications available here are very different from back home, and oftentimes the protocols and first-line therapy is different (either due to cost, lack of availability, etc). Due to the cost and availability of investigations, there is a lot of empiric therapy, and a lot of antibiotics given. Many times I get frustrated on rounds with inefficiency and lack of organization.

I’m trying to be patient through these times and instead focus on what I’m learning in the process (which is a lot!), but it’s difficult at times. I realize that I cannot expect a hospital that is understaffed and filled with patients who may be illiterate and uneducated to function the way a hospital in the states would with more staff and more resources. Whenever I find myself thinking- “why don’t you do it like we do?”- I feel ashamed. Who am I to judge?

There is one particular resident physician here that I really admire- he is intelligent, up to date on evidenced based medicine, and very good with his patients. He is the only physician I have seen sit on the bedside and touch his patients (other than the physical exam). I really admire his heart and his dedication to this work.

On the bright side- I received my first gift here in India and it made me feel so special! Two nursing students (sisters) from the Christian Medical College in India were rotating here for 2 weeks. I worked with them for 2 days last week in the OB/Gyn outpatient department, but other than a few exchanged words and smiles in the mess hall, I didn’t think I had made much of an impression on them. Well yesterday, they came up to me to tell me they had to leave Herbertpur but the would really miss me. They hugged me and exchanged email addresses, and then presented me a gift- a beautiful coffee mug! I was so surprised by their warmth and affection, and so grateful for it! They are both struggling with their schooling and feeling slightly depressed, so I was able to share some words of encouragement and scripture with them. It was a great ending to what had otherwise been a frustrating day!

I want to share a Psalm I came across this week during a rough time (Psalm 16):

“Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “you are my Lord; I have no good apart from you…you make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore”. (Vs. 1 and 11)

Prayer Requests:
- Please pray that I am not quick to judge and that I don’t dwell on the frustrations I experience during the day, and instead focus on what I’m learning and how I can contribute.
- I’m really struggling with the food here; I feel hungry almost all of the time! Sometimes I’m distracted because I just think about how hungry I am and I get discouraged. Please pray that I would be able to concentrate and not focus on the food!
- Pray that I find my contentment and joy in the Lord in the midst of difficult circumstances.
- Continued good health =)

Praises:
- The weather is warming up!
- I found a large area behind the hospital today with walking paths! It’s away from the noisy and busy streets, and a great place to take a walk. I’m so happy to have a place to retreat to!
- The staff here have been very welcoming and make me feel at home. I praise God for their hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment